A man claiming to have a bomb in his truck outside the Library of Congress surrendered to authorities Thursday afternoon after an hourslong standoff prompted an evacuation on Capitol Hill.
The suspicious vehicle led to a lockdown of the U.S. Capitol on Thursday morning.
Workers in the Madison and Jefferson buildings were told to remain calm and evacuate, but to avoid First Street.
Those working in the Cannon building were ordered to the Longworth House Office Building via the Capitol’s underground tunnels.
CNN reported that the Senate and House are not in session, and most lawmakers are not currently in their offices.
The Supreme Court has also been evacuated on the recommendation of Capitol Police, according to a spokesperson for the court, which is closed to the public because of coronavirus-related restrictions, CNN reported.
The FBI said in a statement that its Washington field office’s National Capital Response Squad is responding to the incident. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is also responding, the agency said on Twitter.
Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said the suspect had been livestreaming the incident. CNN reported that video has been posted on Facebook by the suspect, and the network said it is not yet naming the suspect.
“A video that lasts about a half-hour shows an individual from inside a truck, holding a canister that he says is a bomb and speaking about a ‘revolution,’” CNN reported.

Stacy M. Brown is a senior writer for The Washington Informer and the senior national correspondent for the Black Press of America. Stacy has more than 25 years of journalism experience and has authored...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.