Walter E. Fauntroy Photo by Travis Riddick
Walter E. Fauntroy Photo by Travis Riddick

A Maryland judge has dropped a bad-check charge against Walter Fauntroy, the District of Columbia’s former delegate to Congress.

Online court records show the case against the 83-year-old Fauntroy was dropped Monday after he paid $20,000 in restitution, according to The Associated Press.

The charge stemmed from a $55,000 check that Fauntroy wrote to cover the costs of a 2009 inaugural ball for President Obama. Fauntroy and his attorney said previously that he had paid back some of the money.

Fauntroy, who helped plan the 1963 March on Washington with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and spent 20 years as D.C.’s first elected Congressional delegate, left the country while facing a warrant for his arrest in the matter of the check, spending four years living abroad in the Persian Gulf. He returned in June and was arrested upon his arrival at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

After later appearing in court, Fauntroy was released and allowed to reunite with his wife of nearly 60 years, along with their children and friends. Former Prince George’s County State’s Attorney and family friend Glenn Ivey told The Informer after Fauntroy’s initial court appearance that county officials didn’t seem to have a “burning desire” to prosecute Fauntroy.

Mrs. Fauntroy said that she was confident that God was taking care of her husband. On Monday, with the hammer of a judge’s gavel, at least one of those prayers were seemingly answered.

WI Guest Author

This correspondent is a guest contributor to The Washington Informer.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.