D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser and interim Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development John Falcicchio have awarded more than $2 million in fiscal 2020 Great Streets Small Business Grants to 48 local businesses to help create job opportunities for city residents and grow the District’s emerging neighborhoods.
The announcement was made this week at Dudley Beauty College, a 2018 grant recipient located on the Rhode Island Avenue corridor in Ward 5, which used their grant funding to make improvements to their business with expansions such as storefront signage and advertising.
“Small and local businesses are the heart and backbone of D.C.’s economy — they hire D.C. residents, circulate D.C. dollars, and support the culture of our city,” Bowser said in a statement. “I’m particularly proud that this year’s grantees represent such a diverse group of businesses in all eight wards. When we make these types of strategic investments, there’s a ripple effect: we support the businesses and the businesses, in turn, support our residents and empower our neighborhoods.”
The fiscal 2020 grantees include:
• Ward 1: A New Image by Acia, Arif, Best Cuts, Inc., Fashion Optical, Georgia Mart and Wireless LLC, Guild International, LLC, Jadi Goose, Letena Ethiopian Restaurant LLC, Black & White Look, Mia Spiti, LLC, Sheba Café, Columbia Height Market, Ambassador Restaurant, Salt and Pepper Grill Inc., Sunrise Caribbean Restaurant
• Ward 2: Seylou Bakery and Mill
• Ward 3: Coffee Nature, Washington DC Asian Food Corporation
• Ward 4: 2 New Heights LLC, Abegaz & Choma, Gold Coast Café, Donut Run LLC, El Torogoz Restaurant, Golden Leon Shoe Repair LLC, Highlands Cleaner, Inc, K & Y LLC dba Best One Mart, Lost Sock Roasters, Mid Town Barber Shop Inc., Starlight Food Shop, Kwik Stop, Serengeti Restaurant Lounge, Soap City, USA, Sunrise Caribbean Restaurant
• Ward 5: Fresh Dry Cleaners DC, Blue Print Barber Shop LLC, Bourn to Cut Inc., New Town Cleaners, The Family Laundromat, Mount Olivet Inc, Sequoia School, A Childcare Development Center, Patrick’s Pet Care
• Ward 6: Cafe Circuit, LLC, Eden DC Salon Inc., ElectionCycle DC
• Ward 7: A1 Grocery Store, Benning Market, Joy & Nature
• Ward 8: Danakil