Students at Washington Leadership Academy Public Charter School can earn a web specialist certification by completing the Advanced HTML5 & CSS3 Specialist course.
The course teaches students how to use the graphic design platform Canva, create and design interactive web pages, and more.
“I feel great about being certified because I can make my own website,” said 11th grader Yasmin Seid. “I don’t need to go through a middle man, because I am the middle man.”
Fellow 11th grader Lizay Abarca added, “This program helped me discover my love for computer science and web design.”
My School DC
The My School DC lottery application for school year 2020-21 is now open.
My School DC serves as the city’s common application and public lottery for DCPS and the majority of public charter schools.
Families must use the My School DC lottery application process to apply to:
• DCPS PK3/PK4 programs (including programs at in-boundary DCPS schools)
• DCPS citywide and out-of-boundary schools (PK3-12)
• DCPS selective high schools (9-12); and all participating public charter schools (PK3-12)
The application deadlines are Feb. 3 for grades 9-12 and March 2 for grades PK3-8. For more information and to apply, go to www.myschooldc.org.
Top-Ranked Public Charter Schools
The number of DC students attending top-ranked public charter schools increased for the fifth year, according to the 2019 School Quality Report.
This year, 53.4 percent of public charter school students or 23,450 are attending high-performing, Tier 1 schools, an increase of 11.4 percent from the 2017-18 school year.
Top Tier 1 Schools, Winners
The D.C. Public Charter School Board recently celebrated the 60 top-ranked Tier 1 public charter schools located across the city.
During last month’s “Celebrating Best Practices in Public Charter School Education” event, the board also honored 10 Best Practice Award winners — individuals and groups who are committed to and have significantly contributed to D.C.’s charter school sector.
The 2019 winners:
Data Excellence Award Winner
• Charlie Riebeling, Carlos Rosario PCS
The Community Influence Award Winners
• DC SCORES
• Christine Miller – ANC (SMD 1A05)
TIERific Teacher Award Winner
•Abner Soto, LAYC Career Academy PCS
TIERific Principal Award Winner
• Belicia Reaves, Capital City PCS High School
TIERific Parent Award Winner
• Tamara Brown, Two Rivers PCS – 4th Street
• Yizel Romero, Briya PCS – Adult Education
TIERific Student Award Winner
• Jerell King, Friendship PCS – Technology Preparatory, 12th Grade
• Aisosa Oviasogie, DC Prep PCS – Benning Middle, 8th Grade
Program Innovation Award Winner
• Share Your DC, Two Rivers PCS