Darryl Barnes is no longer head of the Maryland-National Capitol Park and Planning Commission (MNCPPC) board, after resigning on May 17 and effective the next day, following the publication of a Baltimore Banner story on alleged misconduct during his term as chair.

According to the Banner, Barnes allegedly violated ethics and procurement laws. 

In addition, Debra Borden, who is on extended leave from her role as general counsel for the MNCPPC, accused Barnes of operating beyond his roles as planning board chair and the presiding officer in an 11-page complaint filed in February. Among other complaints, she accused Barnes of reprimanding her multiple times.

“I take these allegations seriously and recognize the weight they carry and how they affect our organization, our employees, and the communities we serve,” he said in response to the allegations on May 16. “While I do not agree with the characterization in the reporting, I understand the importance of accountability and transparency in moments like this.”

Jamar Creech, who is serving as legal counsel for Barnes, denies the allegations and said Barnes has not used his office for personal enrichment, directed staff to award contracts to friends, family members, personal businesses or affiliated entities, or instructed anyone to violate the commission’s procurement rules, ethics requirements, personnel policies, bond covenants or state law.

“Chair Barnes has acted in good faith in his role as Chair,” Creech said. “He is focused on improving accountability, transparency, effectiveness, and service to Prince George’s County residents.”

Formerly a state delegate representing District 25 and past chair of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Barnes was unanimously appointed to his role by the Prince George’s County Council shortly after the inauguration of County Executive Aisha Braveboy (D) last year. 

“I was proud to vote in support of Darryl Barnes as the next chair of the Park and Planning Commission,” said Councilmember Wala Blegay (D- District 6) shortly before she voted in favor of Barnes last year. Blegay represents the same area on the County Council that he did while in Annapolis. 

During a May 4 hearing, Councilmembers serving on the Planning, Housing, and Economic Development committee questioned Barnes and other MNCPPC leadership on tax assessments and budget items. 

“If there was no conversation with the County Executive, how did you know this would be a one-time tax increase,” asked Councilmember Krystal Oriadha (D-District 7). “

‘Pattern and Dysfunction’

Barnes’ resignation follows three of the commission members voting to remove vice chair Manuel Geraldo (R) and replacing him with Billy Okoye (D), who was appointed during Barnes’ term as chair. Brittany Jenkins and Lori Matthews were also appointed during his term.

“We serve the public,” Geraldo said in an interview with the Banner on May 15. “That’s why there is an Open Meetings Act. It’s so that the public can be aware of what the board is going to do or consider. And so the fact that you violate that, my question is, what else are you willing to violate?”

There are currently two vacancies on the planning board, and the planning board lacked a quorum to meet for much of his term.

Greg Holmes, who is running for county executive in the upcoming Democratic primary, has criticized the frequent changes in leadership as “musical chairs.” 

“The county executive appointed Darryl Barnes as chairman. Now she’s removing him. She forced out former chairman Peter Shapiro before that. Five Council Chairs in three years. County Council seats reshuffled without a single vote from residents,” Holmes told The Informer.  “High taxes, increasing food costs, rising monthly energy bills and spending taxpayer money on a slumber party during the snowstorm. At some point, this pattern and dysfunction has to end and this government held accountable.”

Barnes was originally scheduled for a May 22 virtual hearing by the County Council to discuss his potential removal. 

“They’ll hear all of the information and make the decision that makes the most sense based on everything that’s presented,” Oriadha said, prior to Barnes’ early resignation.

‘Hold the Line’: Ensuring Accountability Matters

During the legislative session, Barnes was a prominent supporter of legislation to separate the Montogmery and Prince George’s planning departments, which had been tied together since the founding of the MNCPPC in 1927. This legislation was unsuccessful.

Language added to the state budget has also banned the transfer of additional MNCPPC funds to the county’s general budget, following at least $13 million in transfers during the current administration. Prince George’s Councilmembers Sydney Harrison (D-At Large) and Jolene Ivey (D-At Large) were the only two members of the legislative body who voted against transferring MNCPPC funds to the county budget.

Del. Ben Barnes (D- District 21), the chair of the Appropriations committee, was a supporter of adding a “guardrail” to MNCPPC funds.

“I think it’s just a matter of good governance,” Del. Barnes said. “If you’re going to take money from park and planning, let’s make sure it happens during the budget process and make sure it goes to a good use.”

Holmes is supporting a ballot measure to create a local inspector general, a position that exists in most of Maryland’s large counties. 

“That’s why I’m running for county executive, and precisely why I’ve put forth a ballot initiative to permanently embed an independent Office of Inspector General in the Prince George’s County Charter to investigate the misuse of taxpayer resources and government failures,” he explained. “Accountability is how to restore trust, not the usual suspects!”

Sherman Hardy poured out his praises and sympathies for the Park and Planning staff.

“Right now, my heart goes out to the many hardworking employees at M-NCPPC who have had to endure uncertainty, pressure, and turmoil behind the scenes,” Hardy told The Informer.

“Despite everything, many of them kept showing up, kept doing their jobs, and kept holding the line for the public. They deserve respect for that. These allegations are serious.” 

Hardy, who is running for a seat on the County Council, emphasizes that the potential change in leadership could lead to reduced trust in county government.

“What we are seeing now should also serve as a warning. Systems only work when good people inside them refuse to bend under pressure. I know there are employees who fear retaliation, fear instability, and fear what may come next, but this moment proves why integrity in government matters. Hold the line,” he continued. “The public is paying attention now, and I remain committed to making sure accountability and transparency are the standard for governance in Prince George’s County.”

Richard is a contributing writer with the Washington Informer, focusing on Prince George’s county’s political and business updates alongside sports. He graduated from the University of Maryland, Baltimore...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *