Entertainment

Judge Sets July Trial for Suge Knight’s Murder Case

In this March 9, 2015 file photo, attorney Mathew Fletcher, left, talks with his client Marion "Suge" Knight upon his arrival  in court for a hearing about evidence in his murder case, in Los Angeles, Calif.  Knight is scheduled to return to a Los Angeles courtroom on Thursday, April 30, 2015, for re-arraignment in a murder case filed after he ran over two men, killing one, in late January. Knight has previously pleaded not guilty in the case, but must be re-arraigned because a judge determined earlier this month that there is enough evidence for him to stand trial. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian, Pool, File)
In this March 9, 2015 file photo, attorney Mathew Fletcher, left, talks with his client Marion “Suge” Knight upon his arrival in court for a hearing about evidence in his murder case, in Los Angeles, Calif. Knight is scheduled to return to a Los Angeles courtroom on Thursday, April 30, 2015, for re-arraignment in a murder case filed after he ran over two men, killing one, in late January. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian, Pool, File)

ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge on Thursday set a July trial date for a murder case against Marion “Suge” Knight that was filed after the former rap music mogul ran over two men earlier this year.

Los Angeles Superior Court Ronald Coen said Knight’s trial will begin July 7 unless a motion is made to continue it for a later date. He set aside 16 court days to hear the case and said potential jurors will be prescreened about their ability to serve before they get to the courtroom.

Knight pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges filed after he killed one man and seriously injured another with his pickup outside a Compton burger stand in January.

His attorney has said Knight was fleeing an ambush when he hit the men.

Thursday’s hearing marked Knight’s first court appearance since Coen decided earlier this month that prosecutors presented enough evidence for him to stand trial.

Knight’s attorney Matt Fletcher requested bail for the Death Row Records co-founder be reduced from $10 million to $5 million, but Coen refused.

Knight, 50, is due back in court May 29, when Fletcher will argue the case should be dismissed.

Fletcher argued Thursday that Cle “Bone” Sloan, who was seriously injured in the parking lot altercation, did not positively identify Knight as the driver during a preliminary hearing. Sloan said he did not want to be labeled a “snitch,” and he refused to say Knight ran him over, despite giving a lucid account of the incident to detectives after he was hurt.

Sloan admitted he started the confrontation by hitting Knight through the window of his truck.

Surveillance video captured Knight’s truck clipping Sloan when he reversed out of the lot. The truck then ran over Sloan’s legs as it sped forward through the lot and hit Terry Carter.

Carter, 55, died from his injuries.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Washington Informer Newspaper, 3117 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE, Washington, DC, 20032, http://www.washingtoninformer.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Back to top button

My News Matters to me - Washington Informer Donations

Be a Part of The Washington Informer Legacy

A donation of your choice empowers our journalists to continue the work to better inform, educate and empower you through technology and resources that you use.

Click Here Today to Support Black Press and be a part of the Legacy!

Subscribe today for free and be the first to have news and information delivered directly to your inbox.

Select list(s) to subscribe to


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Washington Informer Newspaper, 3117 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE, Washington, DC, 20032, http://www.washingtoninformer.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker