Lamont Peterson (left) won a majority decision over Felix Diaz at George Mason University Eagle Bank Arena in Fairfax, Va., on Oct. 17. (Suzanne Teresa/Premier Boxing Champions)
Lamont Peterson (left) won a majority decision over Felix Diaz at George Mason University Eagle Bank Arena in Fairfax, Va., on Oct. 17. (Suzanne Teresa/Premier Boxing Champions)

D.C.-area boxer Lamont Peterson won a questionable decision Saturday against Felix Diaz in Virginia, handing the former Olympic gold medalist his first professional loss.

In the nationally-televised bout at the EagleBank Arena at George Mason University in Fairfax, Peterson (34-3-1) tried to execute a game plan that found him competing on the inside with Diaz (17-1) and trying to land power shots. However, Diaz, who won the gold for the Dominican Republic in 2008, stayed right with Peterson and at times threw more accurate shots than the former world champion.

One judge called the bout a draw at 114-114, while the other two judges scored the bout for Peterson, 117-111 and 116-112.

Peterson told reporters that he suffered stomach cramps during the contest and that was a signal to him that he will no longer compete at 140 pounds.

“It’s time. Time to move up,” Peterson said. “I’ve had cramps, usually in training, but they hurt more this time during the fight so I am now a welterweight.”

The co-main event was a strangely brutal and dirty clash between Terrel “Tyger” Williams (15-0, 13 KOs) of Los Angeles and Prichard “Digget” Colon (16-1, 13 KOs), in which both fighters were docked points for illegal punches.

The bout ended bizarrely after the ninth round, in which Williams dropped his opponent twice. Colon’s corner men accidentally removed his gloves after the round, thinking the fight was over, and Williams was awarded the win by disqualification when Colon wasn’t ready to start the 10th round.

Colon was rushed to a local hospital after the fight when he began vomiting, fainting and suffering dizzy spells in his dressing room. He reportedly underwent surgery for a severe brain bleed, though his condition is currently unknown.

In other bouts on the card, Laurel, Maryland, middleweight Demond “D Best At It” Nicholson scored an easy first-round TKO over Milton Nunez of Barranquilla, Colombia. Nicholson (15-1, 15 KOs) battered Nunez (28-15-1, 25 KOs) with both hands before the bout was stopped at 2:25 into the round.

Super welterweight Alantez “SlyAza” Fox of Forestville, Maryland, defeated Eric “Murder” Mitchell via fifth-round disqualification. The bout was relatively close until Fox (17-0-1, 7 KOs) landed a right hand that dropped Mitchell (23-13-2, 11 KOs) with about a minute remaining in the fifth. During the referee’s standing eight-count, Mitchell went right after Fox, forcing the disqualification.

Peterson’s younger brother, Anthony, stopped Mike “Machine Gun” Oliver of Hartford, Connecticut, in the early seconds of the contest with one punch. Peterson (36-1, 24 KOs) landed a right hand, then walked away in anger as Oliver (26-7-1, 8 KOs) dropped to his knees and took the 10-count — as well as the fans’ scorn as he left the ring.

In a bout featuring two Virginia fighters, Jimmy Lange of Great Falls scored a fifth-round TKO over Culpepper’s “Money” Mike Sawyer. Lange (39-6-2, 26 KOs) knocked down Sawyer (6-5, 4 KOs) with a right hand in the second round and proceeded to batter him until referee Joe Cooper eventually stopped the bout on the advice of the ringside doctor.

In the walkout bout of the day, D.C. welterweight David “Day-Day” Grayton (13-0, 9 KOs) won an eight-round unanimous decision over Martin Wright of Brooklyn, New York (11-2-2, 5 KOs).

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.