Rev. Manson B. Johnson II
Special to the NNPA from the Houston Forward-Times
7 STRENGTHS OF CHRISTIAN BELIEVERS
Bible Fact: God uses a combination of spiritual characteristics to bring Christians to the point to glorify God.
The Big Idea: Growing Christians exhibit more positive spiritual qualities on the inside that cause them to get more personal blessings from God; while at the same time, they also become increasingly more effective and highly attractive to sinners in the world.
Peace in English is defined as: Freedom from any disturbance or agitation; to stop noise; to have tranquility; harmony from life variations; passive resistance or to do nothing or without contest or protest (civil disobedience).
Jewish meanings of peace (shalom): The verb conveys both a dynamic and a static meaning” to be complete or whole” or “to live well.” As a noun can be grouped into four (4) categories; (1) shalom as wholeness of life or body (i.e., health); (2) shalom as right relationship or covenant between two people (humans or God); (3) shalom as to experience success, prosperity or fulfilment; (4) shalom as victory over an enemy or war. It was meant to act as a blessing on the one to whom it was spoken: “May your life be filled with health, prosperity, and victory.” As an adjective, it expresses completeness and safety.
- How does peace act or what does it look like?
- A quiet conscience; II Thessalonians 4:6-12; I Timothy 2:1-3; I Peter 3:1-5
- A restful mind; Philippians 2:5; Isaiah 26:3,4
- A surrendered will; Genesis 13:8-9; Matthew 27:12-14 (demonstrated)
- A hopeful heart; Philippians 4:6-8; James 3:18
- A loving fellowship; Colossians 3:12-16
- Where does peace come from?
- God gives us peace; Philippians 1:2; John 20:19,21,26
- The faith life in Jesus Christ gives peace from God; Romans 4:23-25; 5:1,2
- The Lord of peace; II Thessalonians 3:16
- The results or outcomes of peace
- Victory over enemies; II Chronicle 20:30; Proverbs 16:7
- Reconciles and maintains covenants; Ecclesiastes 9:17
- Power over evil; Proverbs 1:33; Psalm 55:16-18
- Replenish joy; Psalm 30:5; Psalm 107:30