World

Mediterranean Boat Disaster: ‘200 Senegalese’ Among Dead

In this Monday, April 20, 2015, file photo, survivors of the smuggler's boat that overturned off the coast of Libya rest on the deck of the Italian Coast Guard ship Bruno Gregoretti, in Valletta's Grand Harbour. The United Nations refugee agency said Tuesday that more than 800 people were believed to have drowned in the weekend sinking of a boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe, making it the deadliest such disaster in the Mediterranean. (AP Photo/Lino Azzopardi, File)
In this Monday, April 20, 2015, file photo, survivors of the smuggler’s boat that overturned off the coast of Libya rest on the deck of the Italian Coast Guard ship Bruno Gregoretti, in Valletta’s Grand Harbour. (AP Photo/Lino Azzopardi, File)

(BBC) – At least 200 Senegalese died in the boat disaster off the coast of Libya earlier this month, officials say.

More than 750 migrants are thought to have died when the boat capsized off the coast of Libya on 18 April.

A Senegalese official told the BBC that survivors of the shipwreck and Senegalese associations working in Libya had confirmed the figures.

European leaders have pledged to triple funding for rescue operations aimed at migrant boats in the Mediterranean.

Senegalese foreign ministry official Sorry Kaba told BBC Afrique that African countries needed to work together, not only on the issue of emergency measures to help migrants, but also to come up with longer term solutions.

READ MORE

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Washington Informer Newspaper, 3117 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE, Washington, DC, 20032, http://www.washingtoninformer.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Back to top button

Subscribe today for free and be the first to have news and information delivered directly to your inbox.


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Washington Informer Newspaper, 3117 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE, Washington, DC, 20032, http://www.washingtoninformer.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker