Safeway pharmacies in the D.C. region and Delaware will be offering at-home coronavirus test kits in partnership with Phosphorus Diagnostics next month, the supermarket chain said.
Test results will typically be offered within 72 hours, Safeway said in a press release.
After the patient learns the results of the saliva test, a Safeway pharmacist who cannot directly bill one’s insurance will be available for questions regarding follow-up care.
However, while patients are responsible for their own payments, they can also submit the receipt to their insurance companies for reimbursement.
The test has received emergency-use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration, Safeway said.
Here’s how the test works:
1. Visit scheduletest.com to complete a short medical questionnaire and request your test.
2. Your Safeway pharmacist will authenticate the information, review, and order your test.
3. You will be contacted for payment and receive notification that your test kit is ready for pick-up or has delivered/shipped to your address. Patients showing symptoms should not pick up their own test; they must send a representative or choose delivery.
4. Complete the sample collection and send it to the lab via the kit’s prepaid next-day shipping envelope.
5. Receive your results by email or text.