County Council Chair Jolene Ivey (D-District 5) announced her candidacy for the at-large special election shortly after the Maryland Municipal League conference. Her campaign focuses include public safety and pursuing federal and state grants. (Anthony Tilghman/The Washington Informer)
**FILE** County Council Chair Jolene Ivey (D-District 5) (Anthony Tilghman/The Washington Informer)

The special election to replace Senator Angela Alsobrooks had an unexpected shift last week when County Council Chair Jolene Ivey (D- At Large) announced that she withdrew her candidacy for the Prince George’s County Executive seat, citing personal and financial considerations. 

“Today I am ending my campaign for Prince George’s County Executive. I want to thank all of my volunteers and supporters for standing with me,” Ivey said in a social media post on Feb. 12. “I look forward to continue fighting for the people of Prince George’s County as a member of the County Council.”

Ivey, who won the At-Large seat to replace former Councilmember Mel Franklin last year, plans to endorse another candidate but has not yet made her choice public. She is not term-limited in her current role. 

Former County Executive Rushern Baker, who is currently running for his old post, weighed in on Ivey’s decision shortly after she withdrew from the race. 

“Jolene Ivey and I have been friends for over 30 years, and I have deep respect for her dedication to public service,” Baker wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. “I know this decision was made with great thought and care for the future of Prince George’s County. I look forward to speaking with her in the coming days about how we can collaborate to uplift our county.”

Baker, Braveboy, Hawkins and Washington Remain

Baker, State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy (D), County Councilmember Calvin Hawkins (D), and Sen. Alonzo Washington (D- District 22) remain in the running for the next county executive. 

The four candidates met for a debate on WJLA-7, just hours after Ivey withdrew on Feb. 12. 

Braveboy, the presumed frontrunner in the race, cited a general decrease in crime last year, including a 33% reduction in carjackings. She also called for an audit of county spending and suggested investing in local businesses as a means to address the budget deficit. 

The state’s attorney, who won the online straw poll following the WJLA debate, was endorsed by Maryland Gov. Wes Moore and Councilmember Tom Dernoga (D- District 1). 

“I’m proud to endorse State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy for Prince George’s County Executive,” said Moore via social media on Feb. 17.  “I’m confident she’ll make Maryland and Prince George’s County safer, more affordable, and more competitive.”

Hawkins outlined his three primary priorities if elected as county executive: growing the County economy, enhancing public safety, and investing in public schools. 

“To achieve economic growth, we must work to attract new and developing businesses, such as cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and data centers. To attract new businesses, we must ensure that our county is safe and that we work to reduce crime,” Hawkins told The Informer. 

The councilmember also weighed in on his hopes for Prince George’s County Public Schools.

“We must also make PGCPS the best school system in Maryland. We will continue to build new schools and hire more teachers, and I will work with the superintendent and school board in a collaborative way to make PGCPS the best version it can possibly be,” he said.

Considering public safety, particularly youth and the National Harbor curfew, Washington advocated for late-night community activities and shifting 150 police officers into community policing roles. 

Baker touted his past performance as county executive, particularly in dealing with the 2010 budget deficit during the Great Recession, and said he plans to fill staffing shortages in fire and emergency services to address crime. He was endorsed by multiple police organizations.

 “True leadership is measured by the support you garner from those who keep us safe, Baker wrote in a social media post Feb. 13. “I look forward to working together again to build a safer, stronger Prince George’s County.”

Voters were mailed ballots in the past several weeks, and Election Day is March 4. 

Watch the full WJLA debate here.

Richard is a contributing writer with the Washington Informer, focusing on Prince George’s county’s political and business updates alongside sports. He graduated from the University of Maryland, Baltimore...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *