Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, warned against events such as President Trump’s upcoming campaign rally with the country still in the throes of the coronavirus pandemic.
“We are seeing infections to a greater degree than previously seen in certain states, including states in the Southwest and the South,” Fauci told The Daily Beast Tuesday. “I don’t like to talk about a second wave right now because we haven’t gotten out of our first wave.”
When asked whether he would attend Trump’s rally, Fauci said no.
“I’m in the high-risk category,” said the 79-year-old Fauci. “Personally, I would not. Of course not.”
The Trump campaign said the rally will be held at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, this weekend in spite of the ongoing pandemic. However, attendees will be required to sign a waiver absolving the campaign of liability for any exposure to the coronavirus during the event.